MBA educational programs provide deep knowledge and skills that help people build a career. Nowadays, the MBA degree is an integral part of a manager’s starter pack. The accomplishment of such a program is a crucial indicator of career growth. Besides, the MBA diploma is evidence of your interest in professional development.
To enroll in the MBA program, students have to support their application with a letter of intent (or a statement of purpose). If you doubt your writing skills, it’s better to order it from professionals. If you want to try writing a statement of intent independently, this article will come in handy. Michael Miller, a member of an MBA admissions committee, shares tips on writing a letter of intent that will help you stand out among competitors.
What is an MBA statement of intent?
A statement of intent is an essay in which you write about yourself, your experience, and your interests. Depending on which training program you have chosen, the content may change. If you are applying for an MBA program, you need to justify the goals of obtaining an MBA degree. Why did you choose this particular field? Explain what interested you in it.
Why should your MBA letter of intent be flawless?
1. It reveals your career goals and ambitions
Your grades or extracurricular activities by themselves don’t characterize your personality. An applicant is not a bunch of diplomas and certificates! A good letter of intent is an opportunity to present your true self to the admissions committee. If your words seem convincing enough to them, you can assume that a place at an MBA program is already yours.
2. It helps you cut through the clutter
Your life goals may not coincide with the aspirations of others. The letter of intent serves as an answer to the question of why this applicant is worthy of a place at a particular university. Does he have the necessary qualities? Does he stand out from thousands among other applicants? Demonstrate what makes you an exceptional person. The more sincere and original you are, the more chances you will have for admission.
3. It ensures direct communication with the admissions committee
A letter of intent is a direct link between you and the commission. To convince them that you have the momentum they need, your letter must be irresistible. By impressing them, you will increase your chances of getting a place in your dream business school. A letter of intent is your only real opportunity to apply to the commission directly.
4. It allows you to win or lose
In most cases, the letter of intent is the moment of truth of the entire introductory process. Every year, educational facilities receive thousands of applications from all over the world. Your grades and the average score of the certificate may coincide with the indicators of your rivals, but the letter of intent is unique. You have no right to make a mistake. Therefore, if you don’t approach them with all seriousness, you will cancel your chances of entering the university.
How to write a good letter of intent: 4 tips
- Write for ordinary people
Although your statement is addressed to the admissions committee, it doesn’t mean that you need to use formal speech only. Add colors to your letter of intent to interest the reader. If you have an exciting and relevant story, do tell it!
- Provide details wisely
There is no need to mention as much information as possible. However, you should highlight the crucial steps of your academic career in detail. Explain how your experience can help you in mastering the MBA program. Find inspiration in a statement of intent example posted on the preferred business school’s website.
- Make sure that your statement is memorable
It’s a rookie mistake to count on a statement of intent example or use the same essay for several business schools. Usually, all educational facilities have their requirements and instructions for application. Keep in mind that you need to prepare a separate letter for each of them! Often, business schools publish intention statement samples on their websites. Read the requirements of a particular one thoroughly before you start writing a letter.
- Double-check every comma
Regardless of the length of the letter or its topic, save time for rereading and editing. Don’t expect that you will be able to write an essay at once in a rush of inspiration. The proofread always does good. As soon as you complete self-checking, ask friends or relatives to read your letter of intent. As a member of an admissions committee, I must admit that a typo or missing comma can spoil even the best essay. Be sure to eliminate all possible and impossible mistakes.
Additional recommendations for writing a good letter of intent:
- It’s necessary not only to present ideas and opinions but also to prove them.
- It’s necessary to build thoughts and proposals in a strict logical sequence.
- Feel free to get rid of all the unnecessary information. Every sentence should be informative and clearly stated. The admissions committee doesn’t need lengthy explanations.
- Choose a style that is not too formal but also not too conversational. Write in the first person, avoid common phrases and cliches.
- Be self-confident and keep a positive tone.
- Limit yourself to the specified text volume.
- Don’t exaggerate your experience and tell lies.
- Be yourself.
How can an MBA statement of intent help you?
The MBA diploma provides numerous opportunities, including:
- Knowledge, which is necessary for working in this field. A large number of courses will help you gain in-depth knowledge in business management.
- Communication with experienced teachers. Often, such courses are taught by experienced specialists who have achieved business success. The MBA teachers have their formulas and secrets, which they share with students at lectures.
- Networking. MBA provides an opportunity to expand the circles of business communication. Such programs are attended not only by rookies but also business sharks, who have work experience and career achievements. Sometimes, you can even take part in meetings with famous and successful businessmen.
- Most of the courses include internships in foreign firms for you to gain invaluable experience. What’s more, you can stay working in a foreign company.
- Promotion on the career ladder. Many people get an MBA degree for this very purpose.
- Development of both hard and soft skills. Communication with teachers and enterprises allows you to gain knowledge and form goals.
Is it worth enrolling in the MBA program? Yes! Such knowledge in the business field is a reliable basis for not only professional growth but also personal development.
The MBA application process takes a lot of time and effort. In addition to high test scores, you need to provide the admissions committee with other evidence that you are a brilliant student. Usually, you have to support your application with a letter of intent. A brilliantly written essay opens the doors to all business schools in the world. How to write a statement of intent? In this article, a member of an MBA admissions committee shared tips on writing an effective letter. Stand out among competitors!